Monday, August 16, 2010

Why the discrimination?

Today I went to Fortis La Femme for some health checkup, and there was a firang woman in front of me in the queue. Apparently she wanted to meet the same doctor as I and for the similar consultation. But she was charged Rs. 1000 when I was charged Rs. 800. Not a big difference, but a difference nonetheless.
And when I came back I checked up, how the rest of the India fares in this, and to my shock I found this is an accepted GOI policy.
Every Indian tourist site has different tickets for firangs, and sometimes the difference is so high you won't even believe it. Here's a sample: Taj Entry fee: Rs. 970 (Foreigners), Rs. 20 (Indians, during daytime),   Rs. 110 (Indians, during sunrise and sunset)
Where is the Atithi Devo Bhav feel? and what is the logic behind such discrimination? If someone in some other country did this, they almost certainly would have been termed as racist, and here in our home ground this is an accepted govt. policy.
If the Indian govt. itself is overcharging tourists like this how can they preach rest of the traders' community to treat them fair. Looks like this is where GOI is extracting money from to fund its Atithi Devo Bhav campaign where Aamir Khan extolls the virtues of being fair, and implores the audience to 'take pride in being an Indian'. Where's the fair play in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment